Maudlin and Overly Dramatic

I have to keep reminding myself why I am here - not some strange metaphysical answer to the big eternal "WHY???", but really, a firm, solid answer about why I am writing Little Southern Girl. I'm writing because I have a lot to learn and I want to have fun doing it.

Because I can get depressing as shit.

I have had a lot of things happen in life, but nothing nearly as life altering as the last 4 years. In the last four years, I've gotten married, traveled like I've always wanted to, lost friends I thought I would have forever, kept friends who probably should have let me go years ago, and realized that my faith journey was going to be one hell of a bumpy road.

I truly don't understand how to think about all these things without a little bit of drama. I'm supposed to like drama, I guess, being a girl - but being the type of girl I am, I can only stand it when someone else writes it. My own drama makes me want to smash my head against a wall and start all over again.

In the next life, I want to be an ant. The kind that rips people to shreds like in the Indiana Jones movie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I now know why this blog is not updated often... we are not,any of us, commenting and encouraging this bit of writing. That disturbs me. I, for my part, apologize to you for my silence. I thought a long time about this after our last conversation where I was talking to you about the things you were writing, and I feel like that isn't the same. It has been a hell of a half decade for most of us in different ways and I am glad to know you and those few others in my "nearest and dearest" category.

Drama sucks. Life blows. Hurricanes... are wet.

Anonymous said...

Just what makes that little old ant...

You don't want no drama....


You write because you want to write. You post it because you want other people to respond to it. There is no motivation other than self motivation.

Anonymous said...

drama.

funny thing about that, the whole drama thing. it's part of the creative process. it's a spark in its own way.

which doesn't mean we revel in it and stay there.

it just means when you need to express some drama, you do so. it can often lead to something in your mind happening on a new idea with which to create.

how do you, as a writer (or any kind of creative talent) empathize with your own characters without feeling the emotions that you want to write them to feel?

it can be infuriating, maddening and sometimes downright soul-sucking. but it is part of who you are. so don't necessarily embrace it.

just accept it.

Copyright © 2008 - Little Southern Girl - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template