75% is Better than Nothing

After being sick for a couple of days, I am finally at 75%.

The last time I got myself up to 75% of something, I ended up tearing cartilage in my knee.

The going rate for healthy little southern girls is going down, but then again, that's just the economy. We cook, we clean, we fix things, we work, we help put our husbands through college, we plant two rows of gardens, we try to write, to watch hours of television, to go out and have fun, and still try to stay sane.

It doesn't always work, as usually happens.

It all came to a head Wednesday when, after meeting up with my little sister/best friend, watching Star Trek 2 times in less than 24 hours, watching/helping a grieving best friend get drunk, taking it all down the street to another friend's home, bringing it all back to my home, planting two rows of fruits and vegetables (8 hours of gardening in less than 24 hours), working, meeting up at a local bar for some PBR and steak (that's right, we get to eat at our local bar, which may, in retrospect, have been a bad thing) then going out to another local bar for Star Wars (yes, I got to nerd out this past week), I woke up Wednesday morning not feeling my usual, cheerful, sunny, top 'o the mornin' self. I dragged myself out of bed because it was LS's last day, so we were going to go to the coffee shop just up the street for our last cuppa before she headed home.

We drove because I didn't feel like walking and two sips into my cuppa I knew things were going to come back up. They didn't... then. I sat down, started feeling worse. She left, I tried to sit and write, but decided my best course would be to go back home. I walked the .001 miles back to my house slowly, taking the steps carefully. I'm pretty sure I looked like Jason. The creepy, slow walking killer Jason. I check on my plants first and then walk towards home. By the time I make it up the steps, I'm so winded and starting to sweat.

Yeah, that's when the fever kicked in.

I just flop in the bed and for the first time in more years than I care to say, I fell asleep.

Before midnight.

Over the course of the next couple of days, all I did was sleep. It should have been refreshing, but it was really, really annoying.

I hate sleep. Sleeping. I never thought I was one of those people who lived by it, but the "sleep when you die" adage seems to hold true for me. I want to be out doing and then I want to come home and write until I have to go to bed because my eyes won't stay open anymore. But no. I have to be wise and go to bed at appropriate times so that I can function the next day.

What I need is a job that lets me use my natural sleep schedule. If I could wake at about 10am and stay up until about 3 or 4... that would be perfect.

Of course, it's thinking like that that brought me to my Wednesday predicament. So here I am, Sunday, waiting for LS to come back down and only at 75%.

However, I did watch Star Trek for a third time. And that sort of makes everything alright.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Little Southern Girl - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template