Planet Earth Everyday

I've been telling tales of Africa since I got back, but really, it's to hold on to it for just a little bit longer.

You know how you'll have a fabulous dream, one that you wake from in complete pleasure and as you become more fully awake, your mind tries to hold to the leaking tendrils of the dream - but it escapes. It always escapes and by the time you've showered and gotten ready for work, all that remains is that feeling you had when you woke.

That's what it's been like for me. At 6pm, I have a vague notion that I should be looking to go to bed and when it is getting close to 11:00pm, my body doesn't want me to go to sleep because there is, once again, a vague notion that I need to be getting up. Even though I would like to sleep through the night, I let myself wake up at those odd wake up hours because I want to cling to Africa.

We have the BBC Planet Earth series at the house. The first full night I was home, I watched the disk that contained the Okavango Delta flooding. Our guide, Ian, told us about the slow flooding and it was interesting watching it happen. I'm taking bets on how many times I watch that video as the weeks go on.

Unfortunately, time has a funny way of blurring memories and eventually, all of my memories will be only notions of that time I was in Africa. I will stave it off as much as I can, but if the time comes where I can barely remember I had gone, I will be well on my way to that place once again.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Little Southern Girl - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template